Sleuth the Reporter Dog works hard to keep his trim figure. He knows that being overweight is not healthy! Working with his friends at the Veterinary News Network, Sleuth found some ideas that might help your pet lose some unwanted pounds!
1) More than half of all dogs and almost 75% of all cats are considered overweight or obese.
2) Overweight pets are at risk for health concerns such as diabetes, joint issues and heart problems.
3) Pets who are fed controlled portions of food live about two years longer than pets who have unlimited access to the food bowl.
4) Start your pet’s diet with a trip to the veterinarian. A thorough physical exam and blood tests can help rule out diseases that can cause weight gain.
5) Next, throw away the self-feeders and designate one person in the family to feed the pets. Feed a few small meals instead of one large meal.
6) Replace high calorie treats with healthy alternatives like green beans or carrots.
7) Increase your pet’s activity level. Two brisk walks daily for your dog can help both of you shed the excess weight.
8) Try to spend about thirty minutes each day playing with your cat. Kitty Teasers and laser pointers can really help them lose pounds.
9) Follow up with your veterinarian and adjust your pet’s diet and exercise routine as needed.
10) Be sure to bookmark www.MyVNN.com as your source of up-to-date and accurate pet health information.