Thursday, April 24, 2014
EMAIL PASSWORD
SEARCH THE VNN ARCHIVES

Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Back to News Stories

Sleuth the Reporter Dog knows that a lot of different human foods can actually be dangerous to dogs and cats.   His friends at the Veterinary News Network want to help and spread the word about a little known threat…Xylitol!

1) Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar free gums and candies here in the United States.

2) First developed in Europe in the 1960s, Xylitol is a recent introduction to the US, mainly for use by diabetics and low carb dieters.

3) Many oral care products, such as toothpaste, as well as baked goods and desserts for dieters may contain Xylitol.

4) Dogs who consume Xylitol will have a rapid increase in insulin production, causing hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar.

5) Symptoms of Xylitol ingestion in dogs might include weakness, vomiting, and possibly seizures.   All of these could happen within 30-60 minutes of ingestion.

6) In some cases, Xylitol may cause the pet’s liver enzymes to rise and liver failure may be apparent.

7) If your pet is showing any of these signs and could have possibly ingested foods containing Xylitol, SEEK VETERINARY ASSISTANCE IMMEDIATELY!

8) Be proactive at home and keep all Xylitol containing products out of your pet’s reach.

9) Be sure to bookmark www.MyVNN.com as your source for accurate and up-to-date pet health information.