Like you, Sleuth the Reporter Dog wants the best for your pets. His friends at the Veterinary News Network have shared these tips about how new high-tech equipment can make your pet’s surgery more comfortable.
1) Laparoscopy is also known as minimally invasive surgery.
2) Laparoscopes use a telescoping rod and lenses that are attached to a camera and lights to view inside the body cavity.
3) The biggest benefit to laparoscopic surgery is that surgeons can utilize much smaller incisions, meaning that your pet will experience less pain and discomfort.
4) Laparoscopic surgery is used for routine spay surgeries, internal organ biopsies and for helping to prevent “bloat” in large breed dogs.
5) Small studies have shown that dogs spayed with a laparoscope experience less pain and need fewer pain medications after surgery.
6) Veterinary surgeons report better visualization of the internal organs and reduced chances of hemorrhage when laparoscopes are used.
7) Although this is all good news, laparoscopic surgery is not very common in most veterinary hospitals.
8) If this surgery is available through your veterinarian, expect surgical fees to increase.
9) Talk to your veterinarian about the benefits of laparoscopic surgery for your pet’s upcoming surgery.
10) Be sure to bookmark www.MyVNN.com as your source of up-to-date and accurate pet health information.